Baby #1’s Birth Story

I thought for my first post we should throw it back to last year where it all began! You know, the birth of my blog and the birth of my baby, all wrapped up in one.

My due date was September 9th, or wait, September 2nd! In France, you use the 41-week mark as your due date, rather than the 40-week mark like in the US. On the Thursday before my “American due date,” I went to the hospital for some monitoring. Turns out, everything was fine, but you know, first time mom…

My blood pressure was a little high, but like, at the border of being too high, so I went back for monitoring the next day, and the next. My doctors were concerned that preeclampsia would decide to make an appearance, which can go from bad to ugly to horrendous pretty quick, so we agreed (reluctantly) that it was in the baby’s best interest to schedule an induction for Monday morning at 9am.

Obviously that Sunday went by in a blur. It’s so strange knowing in advance the exact moment your life will change forever.

Hubs and I decided to go out for lunch together, our last time just the 2 of us! Then we went home to do a final apartment cleaning, then finish packing all of the hospital bags (lifelong over packer) then rush around doing everything we had actually forgotten to do before, then we collapsed on the couch, and finally we went over to our close friends’ house for the last supper. (Shout out to our favorite Canadians!)

Because the countdown was less than 12 hours, less than 10 hours, 7 hours… I COULD NOT sleep. How exciting that I’d be holding my baby the next day! How crazy!

Finally at 3 am my body said “enough!” and I fell asleep.

Only to wake up at 5 am :/

I had no idea what was going on. Cramps? Stomach flu? Food poisoning? After several productive trips to the bathroom (apparently that can happen to some women! Our bodies are so smart!), hubs finally woke up around 7am. IT WAS CONTRACTIONS! My little man was NOT going to have some doctor decide when he would be born. He was absolutely making his appearance on his own terms!

We agreed to still go into the hospital for our 9am appointment anyway, but staying in theme with our entire lives (we’re always late), we got there around 10am. Getting ready is super hard to do when your contractions are already 5 minutes apart and you have a giant list of things to get into the car (lifelong over packer)! After some monitoring and everyone agreeing I was in active labor (in rough French translation: my body had started the work), the midwives took us up to our room, we got unpacked, I had some lunch, and we took my final bump pic:

There was more monitoring, lots of walking, lots of pain, some crying, even some dancing, and finally an epidural. Around 7:30pm the same day, our midwife (who was amazing and I’m still obsessed with) comes in and says, “Look guys, my shift ends at 8pm, but I’ve been with you all day and would love to see this baby born! So, I’ll get everything ready just in case, you’re almost fully dilated, let’s just have you push once and see how it goes. If nothing happens, I’ll bring in the midwife who’ll take over from here.”

First push. Midwife, “uuummmm….. ya… this is happening now.”

Husband: rushes around to turn on the camera (from an appropriately classy side view) and start playing my music.

Second push. Third push. Baby’s here!

Our little guy was born on Monday, August 31, 2015, at 7:51 pm.
A perfect little boy, 4.21 kg and 51 cm (9 lbs 4.5 oz and 20 in)

Hubs held him first and brought him to my chest. Skin to skin was such an amazing moment! I was trying to process what had just happened: I just birthed a baby. He was just in my belly. Now he’s in my arms. He smells amaaaaaazing. The cry actually isn’t THAT loud. His fingers are so little! Is he cold? Comfortable? Am I squeezing him? The umbilical cord is so bizarre looking. Way to go husband for cutting the cord! I love this baby so much! WOW!

The next few hours were a blur, a mix of total bliss and exhilaration, while complete exhaustion took over. Eventually I had to hand him over so he could be weighed, checked out, and somehow the midwife put me in a wheelchair, baby in his cot, and wheeled us all up to our room. I would be lying if I said I didn’t fall asleep on the way!

Fun fact: Baby was born during the end of Katy Perry’s “Firework” and the beginning of Taylor Swift’s “Shake it Off.” There was a huge mix in that playlist, but oddly enough, we saw both of those concerts while I was pregnant!

I hope you enjoyed reading our birth story! I’d love to hear yours! Please share in the comments!


20 thoughts on “Baby #1’s Birth Story

  1. Jodie Catchpole

    Awwh I am literally in tears at your labour story!
    How incredible and a lot like mine actually!
    I am so proud of you both Stephanie & Martin!
    And of course the Gorgeous little Andrew. When I have some time I shall write my labour story here in the comments 🙂
    I look forward to reading more about my Gorgeous little Great Cousin ❤️?

    1. Post author

      Thank you!! What a sweet comment! I can’t wait to hear your story 🙂 and to hear more about your little sweetie!

  2. Johnna

    Stephanie, I love how I can hear your voice through your written words. And little (or not quite so little?) Andrew!! What a go-getter! ? Good boy knowing momma needed you to accept your eviction notice. ❤ I can’t wait to read more and watch your blog take off. Congratulations!!

    1. Post author

      Thank you so much Johnna! 🙂
      I LOVE how he was so stubborn that no one else was going to tell him when to arrive! Funny little guy!

  3. Emily

    Loved reading your birth story, and fun surprise that the pjs we gave you for Andrew were his birth pjs!! I never knew! Can’t wait for the next post.

    1. Post author

      Thanks! And we LOVED those pjs! Honestly we felt so classy when he wore them 🙂


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *